INFO

Dear Austin Meehan Parents,

My name is Larisa Sholette and I am your child’s art teacher. I can not express how excited I am to be teaching your child art this year. As the art teacher, I will be guiding your child on a creative voyage. I will be able to see sides of their personality that the regular classroom teacher may never see. I will witness them create solutions to problems rather than regurgitate rote answers. I will watch him or her struggle with tough concepts and we will celebrate their mastery. It will be amazing.

Artists play a part in the design of everything you use throughout the day. From your morning coffee cup to your new outfit, from your house to your office building, an artist made all those things or, at least, made them better. The chances are good that your child will be employed in a field where the skills they learn in art class will help them succeed. Meeting deadlines, research, planning, and dedication to the task are all non-art skills reinforced in art class and used daily in the workforce. Art is work. Art is hard work. It may even be harder than math or science because there are no right answers. This is a special class where your child has to create the solution. They will learn vocabulary, be expected to work productively in groups as well as share and critique their work. At Austin Meehan we do not downplay the importance of the Expressive Art classes. Please note that proper uniforms are required in the art room so the students are welcome to bring in an extra large t-shirt as a smock to protect their uniforms. Also please note that due to the nature of the art room where paint, glue and water are used frequently cell phones will be safely kept away.

Thank you in advance for your support with our  art program! Please feel free to contact me at lsholette@philasd.org with any questions or concerns.

Thank you, Mrs. S.

Skip to toolbar